Ria MacAlister

Friday, November 1, 2013

Still...

...think blogging sucks. Or at least I suck at it. But, hey, I made a commitment to blog at least something every day, so let's see how long I can keep it up.

The problem is, I run out of topics. At least, topics that might be interesting to the average Joe and Josephine. So if anyone has any topic suggestions, please feel free to send them to me! While you're at it, send me dinner ideas, because I run out of THOSE ideas all the time!

Which has now opened the door for today's blog post:  A nice recipe! Yeah, you're welcome.

I made these last night, and as per usual, I "winged it" so I'll try to recreate the recipe as best as I can. But like I always say to anyone who is cooking with a recipe, it's best to just make it your own. Use common sense.














Pork Chops in Gravy
cooking time:  approx. 20 min
Serves 6, or in my case, 2 "normal" peeps and 2 large men

2 pounds of pork chops (or do as I did and buy a loin and slice it)
1 C flour for dredging
salt/pepper
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 t chopped garlic (approx. 2 cloves)
3-4 C water
2 T chicken boullion (start with 1, add more to taste)
1/2 t powdered sage
1/4 t celery seed
1/8 t cayenne powder
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
**

Heat oil in a large skillet, or in an electric skillet. Dredge the chops in the flour, then brown on both sides in hot oil (325-350°F). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 4-5 minutes both sides. Remove from oil and turn down the heat. (NOTE: If you use thick-sliced, as in 1/2" or more, then you will have to increase your cooking time accordingly. The best gauge is a fork stuck into the chop. If it runs clear, it's done.)

Gravy:  Saute the garlic in the oil until slightly browned (do not burn!). Sprinkle the left-over dredging flour into the oil until you have a nice roux (flour paste). You'll have to use common sense here. Add about a cup of water at a time until you have a nice gravy consistency. I added browning liquid to add color, but this isn't necessary. Add the spices and Worcestershire. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the pork chops to the gravy, turning to coat. Simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. 

I served this with baked potatoes, only because we'd already had mashed twice this week. I think this would also be good atop egg noodles. 

**This would be fantastic with mushrooms cooked into the sauce also!

No comments:

Post a Comment